When you work from home, there are pros and cons. There can be many more benefits to working from a home office, though. As a mom, you can be uber-efficient by positioning your work life within your home. You can utilize all “downtime” from kid stuff and household organizing to quickly move into “work mode.” You may love the freedom of going back and forth, being able to cook dinner while returning emails, calls or getting a press kit ready to send out.
Being physically present in the house can mean a lot; even if your kids are playing separately and you are on the computer, you are there for them if they need you. Family life is often a top priority. The key is to have boundaries. Here are some suggestions for running an efficient and effective home business.
- Set up your office so it’s organized in one area and has everything you need to make your life easier.
- Don’t expect your kids to understand that you are on an “important business call.”
- Have a separate quiet area where you can take a business call without interruption. A corporate buyer may not appreciate the disturbance on what they thought would be a quick and productive call.
- Have systems in place that will pick up the call for you if the atmosphere at home is not conducive to doing business on the phone. There are also services that allow you to be away from the fax machine and you can still receive a document. These services are very professional.
- If your kids are at school for several hours during the day, dedicate whatever amount of time you want to work and stay in that “work zone.” Pretend you are really in an “office.” Once you set your mind to working and you get in the groove, you can be so productive in a short time. Don’t let things interrupt you if it’s something that can wait until after “work.”
- It’s all about making choices and being present with whatever choice you make. If you are going back and forth from Mom to CEO, be present while in each position. It truly makes the task at hand get done more efficiently and effectively!
Enjoy the juggling act! Many working moms love being able to utilize their creativity and intellectual energy on a professional level. You may feel a sense of independence and then transition quickly back into mommy mode. At the end of the day (hopefully!), it just feels fulfilling and satisfying to have experienced the best of both worlds … inside of the house!
Enjoy this article? Learn more at Modern Mom.